Monday, October 30, 2006
Keep talented Finn in Finland
That is exteremely important. Keep talented finnish in Finland by providing him or her good working environment and everything. Always it is under discussion, how we have low salaries, high taxes, driving car is expensive and here is cold and companies are outsourcing and moving their work to low budged countries. So, of course it would be excellent to figure out, that in Finland, we all would get at least 6.000 EUR in month, tax rate would be 14.6% and cars would cost under 20.000 eur no matter if that is BMW, AUDI or KIA. Sun would shine all the time. Of course in that kind of environment I would like to work myself, but come on, that is not reality!
On the other hand, I would prefer paying higher taxes to keep our country clean and safe. I want to talk in the middle of Helsinki in pease with my laptop case without getting beated and robbed. I like to use subway during evening, I like to see, that our buildings are in good shape and I like to travel using public transportation. I like to keep my environment in good shape. So, keeping talented persons has nothing to do with salary and taxes. This is more or less challenges to job places and bosses to identify talents.... or actually identify every single person by recognize their talents, opportunities, listening to them and getting space to grow, take responsibilities and not communicate with negative. Money is not good motivator, but if you are lack of person management skills, that might be your only solution. For example I can say, that in current job, one of the most motivating thing is my boss, not because he pays my salary, but because what kind of environment he has managed to build for me to work. On the other hand, so simple.... so if you want to keep talented person where you want, the tax rate is pretty low level and cheap excuse in long term. Of course, that can be expected, if you dont have anything else to offer, right?
